Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ball Bag Part 3

Well, I've obviously not updated on the ball bag for the last couple of days, perhaps it would be best to start at the beginning.

Day 3.
After everything was going so well, I was ready to finish the bag on Thursday. Unfortunately, when I went to pin the side pieces to the middle section I discovered that things were not lining up right.

Somehow or another the side peices ended up being almost 2 inches higher then the rest of the bag.

I still can't figure out how it happened since I added the same amount to every piece. I even remeasured the end pieces and found that I had added 5 3/4in, to the original end pieces, and only 5 1/2 to the side pieces. Strange, isn't it? Well, the whole thing upset me so much that I couldn't work on it at all on Thursday and ended pulling weeds in my flower garden to let off steam. ;-)

Day 4.
Returning to work, resigned to the only thing I could think of to fix the problem, and began be cutting off the excess from the top of the sides then ripping out the binding and resewing it on the shortened pieces.

Next I sewed the sides to the middle section. And thankfully the newly shortened pieces fit almost perfectly!

Day 5.
Today I started by pinning the binding all the way around the bottom, then up the diagonal sides and across the top of the bag. I used all but 3 of my pins to do this!

And with hardly any extra ribbon to spare!

Then all I had to do was stitch all the way around, fill in the gaps, and it's done!!! Here's my husband holding it up for me.

I sure hope the school is satisfied with my work.


  1. This is my favorite picture! Oh, and the bag looks good too!

  2. Nice work. I'm so glad that you were able to get your project finished.
    L. Rose